Kia poipoi nga tauira Māori: Enabling Māori student success within the visual arts
A six-month project, being undertaken by Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi, to identify the key principles for effective teaching and learning for Māori students within Māori Visual Arts courses and programmes.
The main aims of the project are to:
- identify the key principles or approaches which are critical to maximising Māori visual arts students’ educational success
- investigate the specific needs of and enhance the learning outcomes for learners on Māori Visual Arts courses and programmes.
The project methodology takes a mixed method approach and includes:
- a comprehensive review of literature on Māori teaching and learning pedagogy and assessing its relevance to the Māori Visual Arts
- a series of interviews with recognised Māori Visual Art experts to answer the research question: “What are the teaching and learning principles for maximising student achievement and success?”
- follow-up questionnaires which will be analysed thematically so that a draft framework, describing the principles for maximising student achievement and success, can be constructed.