MANAKO, ONLINE COURSE
Getting started | Adult literacy and numeracy
Learn the basics of teaching adult literacy and numeracy, including definitions, frameworks and factors that contribute to low adult learning outcomes.
This is a four-week course with online content on Pathways Awarua. It includes three online workshops and a follow-up assessment task.
This course is part of a package of three courses for educators and practitioners who are new to embedding literacy and numeracy. The other two courses are: Getting started | Learner-centred teaching and cultural capability and Getting started | Mapping literacy and numeracy demands.
The course covers an introduction to adult literacy and numeracy, including:
- understanding different kinds of literacy and numeracy, including embedded literacy and numeracy
- exploring frameworks and resources available for supporting and strengthening literacy and numeracy
- discussing factors associated with low adult literacy and numeracy.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- interpret definitions for language, literacy and numeracy, including those from Te Ao Māori, and a Pacific worldview
- use established frameworks, including those from Te Ao Māori, Pacific, the Learning Progressions for Adult Literacy, and the Learning Progressions for Adult Numeracy
- describe factors contributing to poor adult language, literacy and numeracy outcomes, including colonisation.
Who is this course for?
This course is recommended for new vocational education teaching or learning support staff and others seeking to expand their understanding of the basics of adult literacy and numeracy.
Course content aligns with the NZCALNE (Voc) qualification at level 5.
About the facilitator
Graeme Smith's education work encompasses professional development with vocational foundation learning educators as well as consulting with government, tertiary organisations and others. His expertise includes literacy, numeracy and cultural capability and the Tapatoru Award framework.
Ako Aotearoa Badges
Participants can earn Ako Aotearoa digital badges as evidence of participation and completion of course requirements.
Please read these Terms and Conditions before you register.
Ako Aotearoa’s Manako Programme