An introduction to Dyslexia | Supporting learners to achieve their potential
Develop your skills and knowledge to recognise and support tertiary learners with dyslexia and other learning differences.
Hear about this workshop from facilitator Mike Styles:
The webinar series provides three hours of direct interaction with the facilitator.
In between the live sessions, it is expected that participants will also complete reflections about the learning, and trial new practices with their learners, for further discussion in forums and webinars.
The course covers:
- what dyslexia is
- the latest developments in neuro-diversity
- Dyscalculia and Irlen’s conditions
- how people exhibit a combination of these conditions
- how to work constructively with learners
- what the institution and individual should do.
At the end of this course, participants will:
- understand how dyslexia fits within a wider spectrum of neuro-diverse conditions
- create resources and other written material that is sensitive to the needs of dyslexic learners
- understand and work with the positive features of dyslexia as well as the challenges to become a more inclusive educator.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for those with beginner to intermediate knowledge; and is targeted at tutors, learning support staff, education management staff, resource developers, assessors and moderators in a tertiary environment.
Participation in this webinar is an integral part of the Dyslexia Friendly Quality Mark for tertiary education institutions.
About the facilitator
Mike Styles has worked in the areas of adult literacy/numeracy and dyslexia for over 20 years. Over the past 12 years, he has specialised in dyslexia and related learning differences and has led research projects into dyslexia in adults in New Zealand. He has presented at conferences in the United Kingdom, Italy and Australia.
Mike was the lead in the establishment of the Dyslexia Friendly Quality Mark a quality standard for tertiary education institutions who wish to provide best practice for learners with dyslexia.
Mike’s book “Congratulations – You have dyslexia! Great minds think differently” was published in 2022.
Please read these Terms and Conditions before you register.