Teaching Adults to Measure and Interpret Shape and Space: Using the Learning Progressions
A practical ‘how to’ guide to the Adult Literacy and Numeracy (ALN) Learning Progressions for tertiary educators. Guidance on teaching adult learners to ‘measure and interpret shape and space'.
The primary aim of the guide is to introduce and explain the ‘Measure and Interpret Shape and Space’ progressions. Covers topics such as how to use the resource, assessment, as well as a range of guided teaching and learning activities to use in class.
Key Points to Note:
- The guide is part of a set of resources developed to support the teaching of literacy, language and numeracy for adult learners.
- The goal is to enable tutors to meet the learning needs of adult learners so those learners can engage effectively with the texts, tasks and practices they encounter in their training and learning.
- The guide is based on research into effective adult numeracy education.
- The suggestions in this guide are initial ideas only – they are aimed at helping tutors apply the Learning Progressions to existing course and learning materials.
- It is expected that tutors will use, adapt and extend the ideas in this guide to meet the needs of learners and their own teaching situations.
- On p. 11 of the guide there is an overview of the guided teaching and learning activities. Each activity is aligned to a step on one of the 'Measure and Interpret Shape and Space'progressions. You can find these progressions in: 'Learning Progressions for Adult Numeracy'.
A guide for tertiary educators prepared by the Tertiary Education Commission.
(PDF, 440 KB, 56-pages).
- 30 June 2008
A strand chart for tertiary educators prepared by the Tertiary Education Commission.
(WORD, 37 KB, 1-page).
- 30 June 2008