Applying Māori cultural capability
DurationOne hour online sessions
Price$50 per person +GST
Increase your awareness of Māori knowledge, values, and learning/teaching methodologies, and how to apply these to your teaching context.
A series of one-hour online workshops adapted from the kōwae/modules within our Māori Cultural Capability Pathways.
- Ako (learning/ teaching) | Gain some deeper insights into ako, as both a contemporary Māori value and cultural practice, and as a current learning and teaching methodology
- Manaakitanga (caring/ uplifting each other) | Gain some deeper insights into manaakitanga as a traditional Māori philosophy, a learning and teaching methodology, and as it relates to your work context
- Rangatiratanga (empowering students) | Gain deeper insights into rangatiratanga in tertiary education
- Whanaungatanga (relationships) | Gain some deeper insights into whanaungatanga as a traditional Māori philosophy
- Tuakana -Teina (Older - younger) | Learn about the nature of tuakana-teina as a contemporary Māori value and cultural practice, and as a learning and teaching methodology
- Te Whare Tapa Whā (The four dimensions of a person’s wellbeing) | Te Whare Tapa Whā literally means 'the four-sided house', but the figurative meaning refers to the four dimensions that make up a person's wellbeing
- the Āta framework (Thoughtful deliberation before action) | In adult education the Āta framework presents ways of thinking or deliberating before doing, and is a valued teaching and learning method.
Who are these workshops for?
These workshops are recommended for teaching and learning support practitioners seeking to expand their understanding and practice, as well as more experienced practitioners seeking to extend or verify their understanding and practice as well as a relevant specialisation. (Tapatoru Pūkenga Papa Rua and Papa Toru – Level 2/3)
Ako Aotearoa badges
Participants can earn Ako Aotearoa digital badges as evidence of participation and completion of workshop requirements.
Contact us to find out more about these workshop topics.
Taking that next step in your professional learning and development is easy with Ako Aotearoa. Everything we do is evidence-based. Everything you’ll learn is practical, high-quality, effective and sustainable.
We offer three main ways to learn and develop with us.
- In-house Learning and Development
We can come to you to deliver in-house professional development. Contact us to discuss your needs and budget or download our in-house PLD flyer.
- Public Workshops
Register for one of our public workshops scheduled throughout the year.
- Ako Talks and webinars
These online sessions deliver bite-sized information about current topics of interest to educators. Dates and topics are announced on social media and in our Community section and monthly e-news.