Kia Eke ki te Taumata | Success for Māori in Tertiary Education
Price$210 + GST for public courses, or contact us for organisation bookings
About the course
Public course dates will be listed below when available. Or, contact your local hub to discuss booking a course privately for your organisation.
A facilitated course combining two online 2.5 hr sessions. The course covers:
- reflective, critical questioning and discussion
- modelling of good practice techniques and strategies
- group activities in breakout rooms online.
This course examines the success factors for Māori learners in tertiary education. This will provide opportunities for educators to explore, and connect to their own teaching context through reflection, discussion, and practical activities based on key findings from studies that investigated:
- Enhancing success rates for Māori learners
- Teaching with an understanding of Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- Understanding Māori learners, and
- Implementing Kaupapa Māori.
Upon completion of this course, participants will:
- have an understanding of how Kaupapa Māori was conceptualised
- have examined some traditional Māori values and principles that guide Kaupapa Māori, and
- be able to select some tikanga / practices that guide Kaupapa Māori in their practice.
Who is this course for?
People who want to learn how kaupapa Māori-based teaching pedagogy can enhance their practice; and to better engage their Māori learners.
Participants must have completed our Te Tiriti o Waitangi - a Visual History course or similar course recently.
About the facilitator
Janet Te Rore is passionate about all forms of education and is a self-confessed life-long learner who has worked in the education sector for over 25 years in a wide range of contexts, locally, regionally, and nationally.
Taking that next step in your professional learning and development is easy with Ako Aotearoa. Everything is evidence-based, practical, high-quality, effective and sustainable.
In response to the current challenges of delivering “face-to-face” events, our range of PLD is delivered online - workshops and courses, many with digital badges awarded on completion:
- In-house Learning and Development (currently online only until further notice)
We can come to you to deliver in-house professional development. Contact us to discuss your needs and budget.
- Public Online Workshops
Register for one of our public workshops scheduled throughout the year. So many topics to choose from!
- Ako Talks and webinars
These online sessions deliver bite-sized information about current topics of interest to educators. Dates and topics are announced on social media and in our Community section and monthly e-news.