Adult Literacy, Numeracy and Cultural Capability
Kia ora and welcome to our new home for language, literacy, numeracy (LLN) and cultural capability resources to support people working with adult learners.
ALNACC Professional Learning Courses
Our new Professional Learning and Development courses aim to enhance the capability of those involved in foundation education in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Each module consists of a four-week PLD course starting with a workshop, delivered face-to-face or by video conference.
This is followed by an online community of professional learning. Participants will have the opportunity to practise and reflect on the new learning and exchange experiences and ideas with each other and the facilitator.
Participants can collect evidence of participation and engagement in their PLD Portfolio or Kete.
They can receive a digital badge, or micro-credential, for participation in each of the three components and a ‘gold badge’ if all three badges are collected.
Following sector feedback we reduced the fees for the following public workshops for 2020. Face-to-face workshops are now $135 +GST, and online workshops are $105 +GST.
- Applying Ako (Reciprocal learning and teaching) in your practice
- Applying Manaakitanga (Care, courtesy, consideration) in building positive relationships in your practice
- Applying Rangatiratanga (Self-determination of thinking and actions) in your practice
- Applying Te Whare Tapa Whā (The four dimensions of a person's wellbeing) in your practice
- Applying the Āta framework (Thoughtful deliberation before action) in your practice
- Applying Tuakana-Teina (Older-younger) in your practice
- Applying Whanaungatanga (Building respectful relationships) in your practice
- Developing statistical and measurement skills
- Enhancing Māori Cultural Capability (In-house only)
- Enhancing Pacific Cultural Capability
- Essentials: The what, how and why of teaching reading comprehension
- Financial Wellbeing
- Introduction to adult literacy, numeracy and cultural capability
- Introduction to the Pacific Cultural Centredness Pathway
- Literacy and Numeracy for Adults Assessment Tool
- Numeracy Toolbox: Developing learners’ fractions, decimals, percentages and proportional thinking
- Numeracy Toolbox: Developing number skills
- Putting the Tapatoru into practice (In-house only)
- Reading Toolbox: Teaching learners with reading difficulties
- WordWise: All you need to know about teaching decoding and spelling
- Workplace LLN: Developing professional practice
- Workplace LLN: Extending professional practice
Most of our professional development programmes are also available in-house at negotiated rates. More information on in-house workshops »
A new model for foundation education in Aotearoa
Learners in foundation education need quality teaching. The best way to provide this is by ensuring practitioners are well supported in their professional learning and development.
As part of our work in Adult Literacy, Numeracy and Cultural Capability (ALNACC) Ako Aotearoa has developed a coherent system to describe, build and enhance the capability of practitioners and organisations in foundation education.
The 'Learner Profiles' provide a broad example of what adult learners can do at each step of the Learning Progressions.
- Learner Profiles - Numeracy (Steps 2 - 6)
- Learner Profiles - Writing (Steps 1 - 6)
- Learner Profiles - Reading (Steps 1 - 6)
The Reading Collections are part of a suite of linked materials to support adult literacy learning. The materials include books for learners, audio versions of the books and learners’ guides. The learners’ guides include a number of activities to support the learner strengthen their reading skills as they read the articles within the Reading Collections.
The Learning Progressions booklets:
Contextualised and LLN resources:
- Engineering – Adult Literacy and Numeracy Resources
- Dyslexia – Adult Literacy and Numeracy Resources
- Agriculture – Adult Literacy and Numeracy Resources
- NCEA Level 1 Literacy and Numeracy Standards Resources
- Healthcare Sector Resources
- Core Skills
- Hospitality – Adult Literacy and Numeracy Resources
- Trades Training
- Embedded Literacy and Numeracy Self-Assessment Tool
Reaching resources previously available on Te Arapiki Ako:
Thanks to Haunt Digital, we are able to give you access to an archived version of the old National Centre of Literacy and Numeracy for Adults’ website, but note that some functionality has been disabled.
The Literacy and Numeracy Assessment Tool:
The New Zealand Council for Educational Research (NZCER) have migrated the Literacy and Numeracy Assessment Tool (LNAAT) plus all support resources to their own website.
Online support information will be accessible from the LNAAT main homepage.
Embedding Cultural Capability:
A key part of the ALNACC work will be to embed cultural capability by building on the success of our previous work under He Taunga Waka, a literacy and numeracy professional learning programme that incorporated cultural capability.
Cultural Capability Pathways:
We are proud to launch our online Cultural Capability Pathway modules for anyone interested in improving Māori and Pacific learner success.
Download the flyers to find out how to access.
Māori Cultural Capability Pathway Flyer (PDF, 1.1 MB)
Pacific Cultural Centredness Pathway Flyer (PDF, 1.4 MB)
Both pathways are available free online on www.pathwaysawarua.com
If you have any questions about this process or LLN / ALN resources, please email us at: email@example.com