Ngā Whakawhiwhinga Whakaako
Teaching Excellence awards
Ako Aotearoa is proud to announce the revised guidelines for the 2019 national Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards.
The procedures and criteria are now:
- more inclusive
- more flexible
- more focused.
Portfolios can include multimedia material (video and/or audio), as well as text. The maximum length of portfolios is reduced, and the criteria are less prescriptive.
For more detail, download Revised Procedures, Guidelines and Criteria - Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards Nominations 2019 (PDF, 3.9MB, 22-pages).
The awards are open to part time or full time teachers with more than six years' teaching experience. You can apply individually or as part of a team. We encourage nominations from all parts of the tertiary education sector in Aotearoa New Zealand; wānanga, private training establishments, adult and community education, industry training organisations, institutes of technology and polytechnics, and universities.
Overall, the Committee will be looking for evidence that nominees (individuals or teams):
- have maintained teaching practices that exemplify excellence
- are student-centred
- are proactive in their own professional development as teachers and content specialists
- demonstrate leadership
- systematically collect and use information that informs their practice.
How to enter the Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards
The 2019 round has now closed. View the winners of the 2019 awards.
For more information about applying for the Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards:
- Download and read the Revised Procedures, Criteria and Guidelines document.
- Watch these three promotional videos for a good overview of what's involved.
Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards promo
Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards nomination process
Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards preparing a portfolio
- Contact us if you have any questions – go to the Enquiries page of the criteria booklet for full details. You can download the Teaching history form below.