Ngā Whakawhiwhinga Whakaako
Ako Aotearoa is proud to announce the revised guidelines for the 2019 national Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards.
The procedures and criteria are now:
- more inclusive
- more flexible
- more focused.
Portfolios can include multimedia material (video and/or audio), as well as text. The maximum length of portfolios is reduced, and the criteria are less prescriptive.
For more detail, download Revised Procedures, Guidelines and Criteria - Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards Nominations 2019 (PDF, 3.7MB, 22-pages).
About the awards
Since 2001, the awards have recognised more than 200 of this country’s top tertiary teachers. The categories include:
- General – Sustained Excellence in Tertiary Teaching (up to 10 annual awards, each worth $20,000)
- Kaupapa Māori – Sustained Excellence for Tertiary Teaching in a Kaupapa Māori Context ( up to three annual awards, each worth $20,000)
- Excellence in Supporting Pacific Learners endorsement (one annual endorsement selected from the above two category nominees, worth $5,000)
- Prime Minister’s Supreme Award (one annual award selected from the above nominees, worth an additional $10,000).
The awards are open to part time or full time teachers with more than six years' teaching experience. You can apply individually or as part of a team. We encourage nominations from all parts of the tertiary education sector in Aotearoa New Zealand; wānanga, private training establishments, adult and community education, industry training organisations, institutes of technology and polytechnics, and universities.
Overall, the Committee will be looking for evidence that nominees (individuals or teams):
- have maintained teaching practices that exemplify excellence
- are student-centred
- are proactive in their own professional development as teachers and content specialists
- demonstrate leadership
- systematically collect and use information that informs their practice.
Ready to enter this year's awards?
- Download and read the Revised Procedures, Criteria and Guidelines document.
- Watch three promotional videos for a good overview of what's involved. [Videos coming soon]
Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards promo
Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards nomination process
Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards preparing a portfolio
- Contact us if you have any questions – go to the Enquiries page of the criteria booklet for full details.