Hūtia Te Punga
Hūtia Te Punga (lift up the anchor) was a two year collaborative partnership with Ako Aotearoa, Te Tapuae o Rehua, Otago Polytechnic, the Building and Construction ITO and Taratahi Agricultural Training Centre.
The project is part of a larger change agenda to drive systems-level change to improve the educational experience and outcomes for Māori learners.
The project aimed to:
- Explore levers for change in relation to Māori student achievement.
- Explore the potential of culturally responsive professional learning as a means to redressing inequities of Māori in vocational training.
- Identify opportunities to leverage systems-level change across the tertiary training system.
- Generate actionable outcomes across the three sites.
The project's kaupapa Māori methodology focused on:
- power sharing and co-constructed learning between kaiako/tutors/assessors/leaders and the implementation team at three unique sites
- an iterative and staged approach to implementation of culturally responsive professional learning and development
- a qualitative case study using interviews, focus groups and surveys to identify levers for change and actionable outcomes.
- Enhance and/or build on the tauira/tutor/kaiako/assessor existing relationships.
- Increase site specific connection to iwi and hapū networks.
- Increase and/or build culturally responsive practices with practitioners and wider staff.
- Identify levers for change across the organisation, practitioner, learner and wider tertiary training vocational sector.
Dr Eruera Prendergast-TarenaTe Tapuae o Rehua
Dr Porsha LondonTe Tapuae o Rehua
Piripi PrendergastTe Tapuae o Rehua
Janine KapaOtago Polytechnic
Sharon ArmstrongTe Tapuae o Rehua
Melany TainuiTe Tapuae o Rehua
Vai PunivaiBuilding and Construction Industry Training Organisation (BCITO)
Dr Sonja MacfarlaneUniversity of Canterbury
Brett FlemingBuilding and Construction Industry Training Organisation (BCITO)
Dr Joe KuntzIndependent Consultant and Researcher
Claire McIntyreTe Tapuae o Rehua
$150,000.00 (excl GST)
Hūtia Te Punga – Full report
This report from the project Hūtia Te Punga, provides the background to the project and shares the critical findings and change recommendations.
(PDF, 17 MB, 56-pages)
- 14 May 2020
Hūtia Te Punga – Summary
This summary report from the project Hūtia Te Punga provides an introduction to the project and summary findings for all three sites (Industry, classrooms and residence-based trades training).
(PDF, 4.8 MB, 18-pages)
- 20 December 2019
For too long, the tertiary sector has underperformed in delivering quality education to Māori students. Hūtia Te Punga provides research insights from three very different tertiary programmes. It highlights both challenges faced and examples of best practice. This discussion guide helps you think more deeply about these and relate them to your own work and experiences.
(225 KB, 1-page)
- 20 December 2019
Janine from Otago Polytechnic talks about Māori student success from a leadership perspective and some of the strategies that they have implemented.
- 12 May 2020