Visit Programmes and Services for more on our services for educators, including Te Whatu Kairangi and Manako.
Tō mātou takohanga | Our role
Ako Aotearoa holds a vital place in Aotearoa New Zealand’s tertiary education sector. We are an agent of change for quality teaching and learner success.
Watch a short video about Ako Aotearoa, in English or Te Reo Māori:
Guided by the Tertiary Education Strategy, we partner and collaborate with tertiary organisations, Government departments, wider industry and workplaces to prioritise educational and cultural capability building. We value learners as partners and advocate for diverse learners through their education journey – wherever they choose to learn across our tertiary system.
Our strategic goals
Our 2021-2023 business plan is built around five Strategic Goals linked to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and our core values:
- Te Tiriti o Waitangi guides all that we do as we seek to be a leading body for the tertiary sector in a diverse Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Leading change in teaching and learning excellence and educational capability.
- Valuing learners as partners – their diverse voices, experiences and aspirations.
- Tackling racism and bias wherever it occurs with strengths-based approaches to improve educational outcomes for Māori and Pacific Peoples.
- Building language, literacy, numeracy and cultural capability in foundation and bridging education and workplace learning.
Government agency strategies
We are also guided by: