Numeracy Toolbox | Developing number skills
DurationFour-week online course
Price$150 + GST for public courses, or contact us for organisation bookings
Develop your learners’ numeracy skills within existing foundation-level programmes.
About the course
This course includes three online workshops, and an optional, four-week, self-paced online module. The module takes a minimum of 1-2 hours of engagement per week.
The course covers:
- how adult difficulties with number skills interferes with course completion, workplace performance and everyday tasks
- strategies to develop partitioning skills, addition and subtraction skills, multiplicative skills, and problem-solving skills within the context of tertiary programmes
- support for tutors to develop their own toolbox of contextualised numeracy tasks for their program
- a process for targeting, planning, and developing adult learners’ numeracy skills
- a deep-dive into specific strategies designed to effectively develop lower-skilled learners’ number skills
- introduction to a range of resources designed to develop learners’ skills.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- recognise why learners struggle with number skills and employ strategies to address this
- use assessments to identify learners’ needs and next steps
- plan, design and deliver targeted and effective lessons to learners
- use a range of resources in a targeted and contextualised way to support and develop learners' skills.
Who is this course for?
This course is recommended for teaching and learning support practitioners seeking to expand their understanding and practice.
About the facilitator
Dr Damon Whitten is a professional development specialist focusing on adult literacy and numeracy and connecting research to real-world contexts to develop effective teaching and learning approaches.
Ako Aotearoa badges
Participants can earn Ako Aotearoa digital badges as evidence of participation and completion of course requirements.
Please read these Terms and Conditions before registering for events.
Public course dates will be listed below when available. Or, contact us to discuss booking a course privately for your organisation.
Upcoming public workshops on this topic
Taking that next step in your professional learning and development is easy with Ako Aotearoa. Everything is evidence-based, practical, high-quality, effective and sustainable.
Our range of PLD workshops and courses can be delivered online or face-to-face, many with digital badges awarded on completion:
- In-house Learning and Development
We can deliver in-house professional development targeted to your needs. For face-to-face options, we can come to you. Contact us to discuss your needs and budget.
- Public Online Workshops
Register for one of our public workshops scheduled throughout the year. So many topics to choose from!