Numeracy Toolbox | Developing number skills
DurationFull-day with follow-up online
PriceContact us for information
Develop your learners’ numeracy skills within existing foundation-level programmes.
This is a facilitated online course comprising two one-hour sessions and a facilitator supported community of practice requiring one to two hours of involvement per week for four weeks.
The course covers:
- how adult difficulties with number skills interferes with course completion, workplace performance and everyday tasks
- strategies to develop partitioning skills, addition and subtraction skills, multiplicative skills, and problem-solving skills within the context of tertiary programmes
- support for tutors to develop their own toolbox of contextualised numeracy tasks for their program
- a process for targeting, planning, and developing adult learners’ numeracy skills
- a deep-dive into specific strategies designed to effectively develop lower-skilled learners’ number skills
- introduction to a range of resources designed to develop learners’ skills.
The learning outcomes
At the end of this course participants will:
- understand why learners struggle with number skills and employ strategies to address this
- use diagnostic assessment to identify learners’ needs and next steps
- plan, design and deliver targeted and effective lessons to learners
- use a range of resources in a targeted and contextualised way to support and develop learners' skills.
Who is this in-house course for?
This course is recommended for teaching and learning support practitioners seeking to expand their understanding and practice. (Tapatoru Pūkenga Papa Rua – Level 2)
Ako Aotearoa badges
Participants can earn Ako Aotearoa digital badges as evidence of participation and completion of course requirements.
Email email@example.com to book an in-house course on this topic.
Upcoming public workshops on this topic
Taking that next step in your professional learning and development is easy with Ako Aotearoa. Everything we do is evidence-based. Everything you’ll learn is practical, high-quality, effective and sustainable.
We offer three main ways to learn and develop with us.
- In-house Learning and Development
We can come to you to deliver in-house professional development. Contact us to discuss your needs and budget or download our in-house PLD flyer.
- Public Workshops
Come to one of our half-day or full-day public workshops taking place throughout the year in different parts of the country.
- Online learning courses
Our online courses use a combination of synchronous and asynchronous, facilitated learning and incorporate time for practical application.