Numeracy Toolbox | Developing learners’ fractions, decimals, percentages and proportional thinking
DurationFull-day with follow-up online
PriceContact us for information
Designed to make hard stuff easy, this course will boost your confidence and ability to teach numeracy to anyone.
This is a facilitated online course comprising two one-hour sessions and a facilitator supported community of practice requiring one to two hours of involvement per week for four weeks. Participants will have the opportunity to practice and reflect on the new learning and exchange experiences and ideas with each other and the facilitator.
The course covers:
- the importance of proportional reasoning within the context of numeracy, workplace competence, and problem-solving
- a model for developing lower-skilled adults’ numeracy skills
- how to use diagnostic assessment to target and develop key skills
- a deep-dive into specific strategies designed to effectively develop lower-skilled adult learners’ proportional reasoning, fraction, decimal and percentage skills
- introduction to a range of resources designed to develop learners’ skills.
The learning outcomes
At the end of this course participants will:
- understand the importance of proportional reasoning with adult numeracy and develop their own proportional reasoning skills
- use diagnostic assessment to assess a learners’ understanding of proportional reasoning, fractions, decimals and percentages
- design and deliver effective lessons on proportional reasoning, fractions, decimals or percentages
- develop a toolbox of strategies to teach proportional reasoning, fractions, decimals and percentages.
Who is this in-house course for?
This course is recommended for teaching and learning support practitioners seeking to expand their understanding and practice. (Tapatoru Pūkenga Papa Rua – Level 2)
Ako Aotearoa badges
Participants can earn Ako Aotearoa digital badges as evidence of participation and completion of course requirements.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book an in-house course on this topic.
Upcoming public workshops on this topic
Taking that next step in your professional learning and development is easy with Ako Aotearoa. Everything we do is evidence-based. Everything you’ll learn is practical, high-quality, effective and sustainable.
We offer three main ways to learn and develop with us.
- In-house Learning and Development
We can come to you to deliver in-house professional development. Contact us to discuss your needs and budget or download our in-house PLD flyer.
- Public Workshops
Come to one of our half-day or full-day public workshops taking place throughout the year in different parts of the country.
- Online learning courses
Our online courses use a combination of synchronous and asynchronous, facilitated learning and incorporate time for practical application.