Numeracy Toolbox | Developing learners’ fractions, decimals, percentages and proportional thinking
DurationFour-week online course
Price$150 + GST for public courses, or contact us for organisation bookings
Designed to make hard stuff easy, this course will boost your confidence and ability to teach numeracy to anyone.
About the course
This course includes three online workshops, and an optional, four-week, self-paced online module. The module takes a minimum of 1-2 hours of engagement per week.
Participants will have the opportunity to practise and reflect on the new learning and exchange experiences and ideas with each other and the facilitator.
The course covers:
- the importance of proportional reasoning within the context of numeracy development, workplace competence, and problem-solving
- a model for developing adult learners’ numeracy skills
- how to use diagnostic assessment to target and develop key skills
- a deep-dive into specific strategies designed to effectively develop adult learners’ proportional reasoning, fraction, decimal and percentage skills
- introduction to a range of resources designed to develop learners’ skills.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- recognise the importance of proportional reasoning and develop learners’ proportional reasoning skills
- use assessments to assess learners’ understanding of proportional reasoning, fractions, decimals and percentages
- design and deliver effective lessons on proportional reasoning, fractions, decimals or percentages
- develop a toolbox of strategies to teach proportional reasoning, fractions, decimals and percentages.
Who is this course for?
This course is recommended for educators seeking to enhance their understanding and practice.
About the facilitator
Dr Damon Whitten is a professional development specialist focusing on adult literacy and numeracy and connecting research to real-world contexts to develop effective teaching and learning approaches.
Ako Aotearoa badges
Participants can earn Ako Aotearoa digital badges as evidence of participation and completion of course requirements.
Please read these Terms and Conditions before registering for events.
Public course dates will be listed below when available. Or, contact us to discuss booking a course privately for your organisation.
Upcoming public workshops on this topic
Taking that next step in your professional learning and development is easy with Ako Aotearoa. Everything is evidence-based, practical, high-quality, effective and sustainable.
Our range of PLD workshops and courses can be delivered online or face-to-face, many with digital badges awarded on completion:
- In-house Learning and Development
We can deliver in-house professional development targeted to your needs. For face-to-face options, we can come to you. Contact us to discuss your needs and budget.
- Public Online Workshops
Register for one of our public workshops scheduled throughout the year. So many topics to choose from!