Adult language, literacy and numeracy research
Here is a selection of the many research projects funded by Ako Aotearoa with a language, literacy and numeracy focus. Many have tools and resources for educators that were developed through the research projects.
Literacy and numeracy
- Simplifying embedded literacy and numeracy
Practical ideas and resources for teaching and learning.
- Cracking the Reading Code: An Audio-Visual Resource for Students on how to read Academic Texts
Includes a reading guide for reading non-fiction.
Māori and Pacific Learner Success
- A Māori perspective for embedding literacy and numeracy within adult education programmes (2013)
- The kaupapa Māori wellbeing assessment model – Hei Ara Ako ki te Oranga
- Project based-learning focused on numeracy and literacy skills with Māori second-chance learners
- The language in the trades (2017)
Includes videos and guides for tutors.
- SET for work, SET for life, Te Tai Tokerau (2019)
Includes best practice guidelines for secondary to tertiary transitions.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of support interventions for dyslexic learners in multiple learning environments (2018)
Includes best practice guides for educators and other resources.
- How to make learning interventions which support dyslexic trainees in classroom and workplaces (2016)
Identifies strategies to help trainees with dyslexia in workplace and classroom environments.
Supporting ESOL learners
- Adult Refugee Learners with Limited Literacy: Needs and Effective Responses (2012)
Identifies educational strategies for teaching adult refugee learners with low-level language and literacy skills.
- ESOL Teaching Skills Taskbook Unit (2009)
Includes resources for ESOL teachers to use to develop their teaching skills.