Manako professional learning courses
Manako offers a wide range of courses, workshops and self-paced online learning, specifically developed to support educators working with adult learners.
Our courses run throughout the year as public events – see what's currently available.
Courses can also be booked privately by organisations. We can also tailor our offerings to meet specific learning needs within your organisation. Get in touch with us to find out more.
Language, literacy and numeracy development
- Literacy and Numeracy for Adults Assessment Tool
Gain an introduction to the National Literacy and Numeracy Assessment Tool and the related Learning Progressions framework.
- Workplace language, literacy and numeracy | Developing professional practice
Identify priority learning areas, use assessment results and design targeted instruction.
- Getting Started | Adult literacy and numeracy
Learn the basics of teaching adult literacy and numeracy, including definitions, frameworks and factors that contribute to low adult learning outcomes.
- Getting Started | Learner-centred teaching and cultural capability
Learn the basics of learner-centred adult teaching including a Te Ao Māori worldview approach to expand your cultural capability.
- Getting Started | Mapping literacy and numeracy demands
Learn how to map the literacy and numeracy demands of your training or education programme.
Language and literacy
- Essentials | The what, how and why of teaching reading comprehension
Explore effective reading strategies to transform your learners from passive to active readers.
- WordWise | All you need to know about teaching decoding and spelling
Discover the interplay between decoding and spelling and learn how they can be taught at the same time.
- Reading Toolbox | Teaching dyslexic learners
Learn how to teach dyslexic learners the strategies they need to improve their reading and writing.
- Numeracy Toolbox | Developing number skills
Develop your learners’ numeracy skills.
- Numeracy Toolbox | Developing learners’ fractions, decimals, percentages and proportional thinking
Designed to make hard stuff easy, this course will boost your confidence and ability to teach numeracy to anyone.
- Developing statistical and measurement skills
This course supports educators to develop learners’ statistical and measurement skills.
- Dyscalculia | Supporting learner success
Explore effective strategies for working with dyscalculic learners.
Supporting Māori learner success
- Applying Māori Cultural Capability workshop series
A series of one-hour workshops, each exploring ways to apply Māori values/ methodologies in various contexts.
- Enhancing Māori Cultural Capability
Increase your awareness of Māori knowledge, values, and learning/teaching methodologies, and how to apply these to your teaching context. This course is offered in-house only.
Supporting Pacific Learner Success
- Introduction to the Pacific Cultural Centredness Pathway
Gain greater understanding of the seven major Pacific nations in Aotearoa and an appreciation of the unique values that define each one.
- Enhancing Pacific cultural capability
Build on your learning from the ‘Introduction to the Pacific Cultural Centredness Pathway’ course. This course helps you align your approach to each of the major Pacific nation groups.
- Le Va | Cultural social distancing
Explore the meaning and importance of Le Va and why observing this is crucial for Pacific learning.
- Financial wellbeing | A Pacific Islands perspective
Explore tools and strategies that you can share with your learners to help them make informed decisions about money and financial planning.
Learn about the different types of neurodiversity, the challenges it can pose for learners, and how to put appropriate support in place in this series of one-hour introductory workshops:
- Digital Literacy Educator Pathway
Independent learning on Pathways Awarua, designed to support learners’ digital literacy development to promote digital inclusion and digital equity.
Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
- UDL Educator Pathway
Independent learning on Pathways Awarua, designed to support you in creating more flexible and inclusive teaching and learning environments.
- Explore ways of putting Universal Design for Learning (UDL) into practice in this interactive workshop.
- Developing Learner Agency Educator Pathway
Independent learning on Pathways Awarua, designed to support you in fostering learner agency.
Explore our range of PLD courses and workshops, available both as online, public events and as bespoke courses for organisations to book.
(PDF, 348 KB)
- 22 November 2023