MANAKO, ONLINE COURSE
Numeracy Toolbox | Developing learners’ fractions, decimals, percentages and proportional thinking | Commencing 6 May 2024
Boost your confidence and ability to teach numeracy to anyone. This course is designed to make the hard stuff easy.
Hear about this course from facilitator, Dr Damon Whitten.
This course includes three online workshops, and an optional, four-week, self-paced online module. The module takes a minimum of 1-2 hours of engagement per week.
Participants will have the opportunity to practise and reflect on the new learning and exchange experiences and ideas with each other and the facilitator.
The course covers:
- the importance of proportional reasoning within the context of numeracy development, workplace competence, and problem-solving
- a model for developing adult learners’ numeracy skills
- how to use diagnostic assessment to target and develop key skills
- a deep-dive into specific strategies designed to effectively develop adult learners’ proportional reasoning, fraction, decimal and percentage skills
- introduction to a range of resources designed to develop learners' skills.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- recognise the importance of proportional reasoning and develop learners’ proportional reasoning skills
- use assessments to assess learners’ understanding of proportional reasoning, fractions, decimals and percentages
- design and deliver effective lessons on proportional reasoning, fractions, decimals or percentages
- develop a toolbox of strategies to teach proportional reasoning, fractions, decimals and percentages.
Who is this course for?
This course is recommended for educators seeking to enhance their understanding and practice.
About the facilitator
Dr Damon Whitten
Dr Damon Whitten is a professional development specialist focusing on adult literacy and numeracy and connecting research to real-world contexts to develop effective teaching and learning approaches.
Ako Aotearoa badges
Participants can earn Ako Aotearoa digital badges as evidence of participation and completion of course requirements.
Please read these Terms and Conditions before you register.
Ako Aotearoa’s Manako Programme